Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Email 7-22-11 Leaving the MTC

Well its comin. My time to finally leave this place.  I can't even describe how excited I am, but at the same time I can't describe how scared I am.  I have been here for 9 weeks.  Thank goodness I didn't have to stay much longer.  But I have grown so much here both spiritually and physically.  I have grown to love my Savior as I do my best friend, because you know what? He is our best friend.  He did all those things for us because he loves us.  Why wouldn't you want a best friend like that? Someone who was willing to do anything for you, even to die and suffer for you.  I have grown so much in appreciation for those that are serving now in different countries and here in the US.  Here in the MTC we are taught to love everyone, to glory in the accomplishments of others and to give our glory and praise to God for our success.  In a world where the younger generation is brought up on pride and self satisfaction it has been a struggle for some of the elders here to learn humility.  I myself have had trials with learning to love everyone and to give all my praise to God for my accomplishments.  It was hard because for so long in track and in school and in life if you got anything done you would feel so proud in yourself and in your own capability.  But here its different.  We all have to learn that humilty and to give praise to our God.  Alma 26:12....." I do not boast of my own strength but in the strength of my God."  I now give glory to God for all the things I have accomplished here and for all that he has allowed me to learn.  Spanish is still progressing, my teaching is become progressingly better, my testimony is becoming stronger.  And for this I give thanks to the Lord for giving me the determination, the strength, and the pacience to "keep moving forward".
 
Elder Marple and I have been called to play in another devotional.  I am so excited to have this amazing opportunity again.  We have grown to appreciate the music that is in our lives so much.  Its awesome to see how silly we get when we start talking about the music that we have created to help people feel the spirit through music.  Also Elder Varney and I have done well here in the MTC.  We had 5 investigators in all and three will have been baptized this saturday.  Even though they are simply our teachers acting as the investigators that they have taught on their missions I feel that I have grown to love this person.  To be a part of their life and to want them to be sincerely happy.  I am grateful the learning experiences that I have had here in the MTC with learning to teach and become closer to my Savior and all those others that I love.
 
This week there has been an experience in our district.  One of the sisters in our group Hermana Lao has been struggling because she has had to have surgery on her knee.  The doctors told her that they would have to move back her departure date because the rehab needed to be complete before she could be cleared.  This sister was amazing.  She said that there was no way that she would be leaving after we did. That she was going to be leaving with us... her district (she is tongan) :D
SHE BROKE RECORDS.  The doctors say that they have never seen someone recover from this surgury that fast. Truly you could see the blessings of the Lord being showered upon her.
 
 Everything was going great until yesterday when sweet, strong Hermana Lao found out that her mom has brain cancer and that she won't be living for much longer.  How could this happen.  When Hermana Lao was doing all that she could to be the successfull missionary her family wanted her to be and now this happens. She told us that she had talked with her father about what was going on.  She said that when she spoke that she told him that she wanted to go home to be with her mom for that little precious time that she had left in this life.  When her mom got on the other line of the phone and Hermana Loa could hear her strong mothers voice saying "Don't you dare come back, until the work is done. Don't you dare come back."  Hermana Lao was crushed.  Why would her mom say this? With tears streaming down her face she told us of the testimony that she had gained here.  That what she had been teaching to the fake investigators was more than just lessons.  What we are teaching is real.  The plan of salvation is a plan of happiness where all the children of men can be with their families for eternity with God. There wasn't a dry eye among us. We gave her a blessing as a district last night and as she was walking out of the room I couldn't help but think to myself of all the events that had been happening the last 2 hours.  What would I do if that had happened to me? Would I want to go home? Would I be able to have the same attitude as Hermana Lao?
I still don't have those answers for myself, but ever since then I have been pondering on the words her mother spoke to her and the same words I'm sure my mother would speak to me as well as any other person who loved me. "Don't you dare come back, until the work is done. Don't you dare come back."  This is a story that some have only been able to hear about; but I feel that I have come to experience it first hand.  I love Hermana Lao with all my heart and I feel her loss as my own.  My thoughts are with her and with any of you that are having struggles at this time.
 
I just want to bear my testimony about His work.  We are all called to be missionaries.  Yes, some have already served honorable missions as a missionary with a badge and all.  Others have served missions as mothers in bringing up great children and teaching them the ways of the gospel. I know it sounds a little rough but I can hear my Father in Heaven speaking words to me about my entire life being as a mission saying "Don't come back until your work is done"  We are continual missionaries in our lives.  My time as a missionary now is to the people of Paraguay.  And I will go and I will not come back until my work is done because now I realized that my work and the Lords work is the same.  I will not come back until the Lord's work is done.  I hope that after my mission I will be able to live this missionary life as well, because I will not stop my missionary life until every phase of missionary work has been completed.  We must all strive for the welfare of every soul.  Because every soul is great in the sight of God.  Oh, and how great shall be your joy if you bring save it be one soul unto God,  and how great shall be your joy with that soul in the Kingdom of God.  I challenge you all to figure out what is your missionary calling now.  And as you do this God will give you the strength, patience to bring to pass all things.  I love you all and am so thankful for your love and support.  I wish the spirit of the Lord upon you in all things and that you can be guided in your daily activity.
 
Yo amo a mi familia, para siempre
-Elder Beatty

No comments:

Post a Comment