Friday, July 15, 2011

Email 7-8-11

Well hello again all of you living in the outside world of which I have so quickly forgotten.  Its been crazy because the first few weeks we were in here in the MTC we were trying so hard to stress being set apart from the rest of the world, its crazy to think that now its hard even for me to remember the words the my favorite song before while I can now so easily recall the words to almost every hymn we have sung here or the words of the first vision or my purpose.  I think it just goes to show that we are here for a purpose and as we begin to lose ourselves in the work we can see that it doesn't matter what our favorite song was or how much of an athlete or into music or school we were before because, now, here, engaged in the Lord's work, we are equal.  We are united in purpose in posessing the same characteristics as our brother and Savior Jesus Christ in trying to bring the souls of men unto remembrance of their God.  And ohhhhh how I love it.
 
Elder Marple and I finally got to play in the huge mission conference that we had wanted to play in so bad.  I was so nervous when we were getting ready to get up and play.  My hands started sweating really bad.  There were over 2,500 missionaries there.  I was scared that as I was playing I would look up and see myself on the big screen playing.  so I  just looked at my hands the whole time.  It turned out awesome.  As I sat their waiting for the sound to die out in the room and the quiet still had its grasp on the missionaries, I could feel the echo of the sound in my whole body as if the Spirit was testifying to me that I had done well.  That the song we had played was the truth.  That we truly had a prophet here on this earth now and forever.  And if we do truly show our thanks and listen to the words of the prophets our lives would be blessed.  It was awesome to be blessed to have the opportunity to play and bring the spirit into that specific meeting.  I hope that I get another chance to do the same.  To use my small gift of music to help other people come close to the Lord and to feel the Spirit.
 
Well this week has actually been pretty crazy.  Our original progressing investigator is actually on vacation so Elder Varney and I thought that we would actually get a break from teaching but nope.  We got 4 new progressing investigators this week.  Holy crap...........  Its crazy because we don't really have a ton of time to actually prepare for each investigator individually.  But thats a good thing.  It has taught me faith in the Holy Ghost and how it can influence a lesson even if I haven't had alot of time to prepare.  If I have studied the subject sometime before the class.  Even if I don't really remember the scripture reference or the exact example, the spirit somehow testifies to me of the truth of what I'm saying and helps me find that words I need to express what I need to express in my own words.  Truly being a missionary is all about having faith and opening your mouth.
 
Anyway.... our investigators are doing well.  We have 2 with a BAPTISMAL DATE.....  BOOM ASADO!!!!!! I'm so freaking excited but we still have to help them learn so much in so little time.  Hopefully we have taught them the value of learning the truth by the Spirit so that they themselves won't have trouble looking for their own answers in the BOM.  I think the hardest part of the lessons to talk about so far would have to be the end of the 2nd lesson when we talk about the Spirit world and Kingdoms of Glory.  Sometimes its just so hard for other people to swallow because its so different and new.  Definitely there is probably a language barrier but I guess I will continue to try my best and teach with the spirit so that my investigators can be influenced and feel it testifying to them.
 
We had a really legit devotional this week by a member of the Quorum of the 70.  I think his name was Elder Kofford.  But anyway it was great because he talked about 2 things that are really important to missionary work.  He really stressed also that it isn't something new, but it was something that we all knew was right in our hearts and as we gained a new appreciation for it we could gain a stronger testimony.  1st he talked about obedience.  He said that we needed as missionaries to want to be obedient not for others, not for ourselves, but for God.  We needed to want to be a obedient like we have a thirst or hunger.  He said that if we have this testimony of obedience that we would be able to tackle any problem and that we could also bring the spirit into any situation.  The 2nd point was about the Holy Ghost.  He talked about the influence of the Holy Ghost and how we need to take advantage of it.  He said that we shouldn't be traveling in groups of 2 but groups of 3. Me, my companion, and the spirit.  The last thing we talked about the Holy Ghost was giving thanks to the Holy Ghost.  This was totally new to me.  I don't know if I wanna admit this but I have never actually thought about expressing my love and appreciation for the holy spirit and its influence on my life.  I have expressed my love to the Lord and Savior countless times but never to the Holy Spirit.  And I agreed that the Holy Spirit should be thanked.  He hasn't received a body.  He may have made a sacrifice for all others to not have a body and to the influence of the Lord on the earth.  I would challenge all of you who read this to take some time in your prayers to thank the Holy Spirit and the good influence that he has on your day.
 
As my time here in the MTC rapidly comes to a close I have contemplated the growth that I have had here in the MTC.  Its amazing.  Simply to start off with.  Before coming into the MTC I couldn't even speak spanish, but now I can easily give a 45 minute lesson with minor troubles.  Before I came here I struggled to read my scriptures every day, but now I long for those moments when I can simply sit and search for truths that lie in the scriptures.  Before I beleived in helping others simply to help others, but now I feel a love for others a desire to help every single person I come in contact with not only with their physical trials but with their own spiritual Journey to God.  I know with my whole soul and being that this gospel is totally about love.  Our Lord created this earth out of love so that we would have the same opportunity to have a body, to live with the same blessings that He had received.  Out of love He sent prophets to guide us on the path of righteousness.  Out of love He created a plan that through the atonement and the love of Jesus Christ we could live forever clean of all our sins, afflicions, and pains.  This Gospel is love.  I love all of you for your desire to be close to the lord in choosing to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  I know that the love I have can be a tool in the hands of Lord.  As we all strive and continue to have the Gospel in our minds and Love in our hearts we will all be able to bring others close to God and that we can stand in front of him while he is on his judgement seat as his hand is reaching down to us saying "Well done thou great and faithful servant".  We can be surrounded by the love of God and Jesus Christ wherever we go.  We all have that choice to follow the Savior's example and love all people in all places and in all times.  And I can promise you that as you have love in your hearts and the Gospel of Jesus Christ in your mind, body and soul, that God will bless you and your families forever.  I thank you all again for your love and for your example.  I love you all and hope the spirit and love the lord is with you always.
Yo amo todas las personas aqui en la tierra
-Elder Beatty

No comments:

Post a Comment