Monday, September 3, 2012

Email 9-3-12

Hello everyone,

Really this week was a week of miracles. So I don´t know if I had talked about a girl that we started teaching on Sunday in my last email. We met with this girl that has been coming to church for like 3 years and the only problem that she had was that she wanted to get married with a 17 year old member so that she could get baptize… ya not gonna happen. But we started teaching her on Sunday and we found out that she wants to change her life right. Well who is better prepared to help people change their lives through Jesus Christ than the missionaries that He sends to people. Anyway so we placed a baptism date with her for Saturday. Wow. We really needed to cover a lot of material to see if she really had a testimony of the church that it was true and all that jazz. We started with things on Tuesday. We taught the law of chastity, the word of wisdom, tithing on Wednesday, and follow the prophet on Thursday and then after that was her interview. Wooooooohooooooo she passed and yes she got baptized on Saturday. It was kind of weird to think that about a week ago we didn´t even know that she existed and then we helped her get baptized. It really was a miracle to show that God is preparing His people no matter where they are or what they are doing. God knows what they need and He will prepare them in their own due time. She is a great young lady. She is a little shy but she has a strong testimony that the church is true. That it is going to help her find a lot of people and joy in her life. I’m thankful to my Father in Heaven for the opportunity that I had to get to know her and help her take these steps in her life to have a better life through the gospel.

Other than that we just have been working super super hard in an area that missionaries have never entered in before. Mostly because it’s super far away from the church but its soo cool going to a place where the people really haven´t even heard of the missionaries of the Church of Jesus Christ. It’s like I am just opening up a whole new country to the gospel. We are teaching a TON but we are still looking for those people who really are prepared to enter into the kingdom of God here on the earth. It’s cool because the people really just let us come into their houses and we just teach them. It’s cool because we are teaching like 50 lessons a week and I feel like I am just biding my time to find that one golden person that is going to progress in the gospel. I guess that is one thing here in Paraguay I haven´t really ever thought about. People here will let you into their house really without denying you. Ya there are those people who will flat out tell you to go away, but about 80 percent of the time the people will let you in and let you teach, but in the end they really have no intention of changing their life. Sometimes it’s a little frustrating because we get into people´s houses and they are soo cool and seem so prepared, but in the end they say that they don´t want to change religion. AHHHHH but I know that the Lord is just testing us to see if we will be diligent to find those people who will accept the gospel.

I went and did divisions this last week and I went to a place called Barrio 4. It was right next to Presidente Franco,  where I started my mission. It was cool because I got to see a lot of the stuff that was familiar to me when I started my mission. Lots of memories and lots of trials hahahaha We taught a ton in Barrio 4 but in the end we really didn´t find anyone that was prepared. We found a few people who are interested and the missionaries are going to keep working with them to help them develop a greater interest.

One cool experience that I had this last week while I was reading the scriptures was when I was reading about the faith. And there was a reference that lead to 1 Nephi 17 I think, when Nephi is building a ship, and his brothers don´t believe that he can do it. At first I was like what? How is building a ship talking about faith? But then I found a sweet scripture Where it says something like this, ( I’m translating) Why are you murmuring against my father, and to do what the Lord has commanded me. Why does it seem like something strange that the Lord would command me to build a ship....... It’s because his brothers were doubting his capability........... If the Lord told me to command this water that it would turn up and be dry land, it would come to pass. If the Lord has such great power, and has worked so many miracles unto the children of men, how is it that He cannot teach me to build a ship? whooohooooo When I read that it was super cool because really the Lord has such power and can work so many miracles if we have the faith in Him. I had to change the phrase a little bit. ¨If the Lord has such great power, and has worked so many miracles unto the children of men, how is that He cannot teach me, Elder Beatty, to baptize every week? Yeah it was sooo cool and I felt that really if I build my faith the Lord will help me accomplish that goal. I know it’s not only talking about helping me become a better missionary but it can apply to any aspect of life. The Lord can teach us to be a better husband, a better student, a better son or daughter. ONLY if we show our faith to Him, He will be able to help us accomplish the goal.

One funny experience that we had this last week was that we contacted a guy who was super catholic. We started talking about why there were so many churches today really if there is only 1 God. He said that it was a good question and that really it was based on the interpretation of the scriptures. He said that in the end we should all come together, drop our differences and worship God. We started talking about the founders of churches and how the churches are based off the beliefs of the founders and in the end he asked us who founded our church. It was super cool because my companion and I answered at the same time.... Jesus Christ...... BOOOOOMMMMM It was so funny to see the look on the guys face. He was going to say something after we answered him but the answer that we gave him really just struck him dumb. And then he started giving us the usual catholic beliefs about how the church is founded on Peter instead of revelations blah blah blah. We didn´t teach him but it was super funny to see the look on his face when we told him that the church we represent was founded by Jesus Christ.

Here is a random fact in the life of Elder Beatty…….practically every day since I have gotten to this area I have eaten rice, eggs, and hotdogs for lunch.  YUM YUM!

Well everyone I’ve got to roll. We came to Asuncion for a leadership council and I’ve got to take a 6 hour bus ride back to my area so that I can sleep. I love you all. The gospel is true and really nothing could ever be so sweet and precious in our lives than to live the teachings of the Savior and be blessed by living the commandments. I know the gospel is real. It tranforms us into people that the Lord wants us to be. I love you all and hope you have a super fantastic day.

Rohayhu

Elder Beatty

No comments:

Post a Comment