Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Email 10-25-11

Yeah new companion, WHOOOOOOOOOOO party

My new companions name is Elder Rios and he is from Argentina.  I can't really remember what the name of the city was but it’s all good.  He is pretty cool he played on a volleyball team for his province before he left.  I guess that is kind of like a state or something like that.  So ya he was pretty professional back in the day.  But like all missionaries that was before we all gained our own personal guts.  Yes, yes I do admit I have kind of rounded out in the midsection but hey, what can a guy do when all you do is eat fried tortillas and manioca (a type of potato) all day.? :D

This last week I learned something really cool I think.  I have really been focusing on questions of the soul that can be answered with the scriptures.  I have learned that we have a choice between the liberty and love of the Lord or the captivity and power of the devil.  I have also learned that little children can't be persecuted for their sins because of how they do not have knowledge between the good or the evil.  This was the same with Adam and Eve while they were in the Garden.  They didn't know whether anything was good or bad.  We learn from the Book of Mormon that Adam being cast out was part of the plan of God.  Satan thought that he was going trick God but no, that is impossible. That is simply why when they partook of the tree of good or evil they were cast out only to fulfill the plan of God.  They were as little children not knowing good from evil.  It gets a little complicated from there but I hope you get the general idea.

This week has passed by really, really slow.  I'm not going to lie.  I do miss Elder Hewitt a lot.  We could just talk about anything anywhere at any time.  I do feel that we are going to be good friends after when I get back.  It’s crazy to think of the relationships that you can form here in the mission; not only with the people of Paraguay, but with the great young men that you get to serve with.  There is a lot I can learn from both my companions and the people.  It’s going to be a great adventure.  

This last week I have been focusing a lot on my faith.  Not just my faith in myself or in my speaking abilities or anything like that; but I have been focusing on my faith in that through God anything is possible.  He can get the people to church that need to come to church.  He can give an answer to someone looking for an answer.  It’s great to feel that warm comfy feeling the Holy Ghost can bring when we know that God is going to help us at whatever moment we are ready for Him.  But, first we have to live worthy to receive the spirit.  This last general conference I believe it was Elder Ballard or Elder Packer; they gave the many statements of "if" we do certain things then we can have the spirit.  Yes, what he says is true that "if" we stay true to our values we can receive more help and guidance from the Holy Ghost.  But for me, and probably maybe for a good majority of us, this is based on the knowledge that we have right now of the gospel.  These statements should no longer be "if" statements.  It should be a matter of "when".  We know what we need to do.  So why not just do it.

I love you all and hope you can have the spirit of the Lord with you this next week in your families and jobs and friends.  I wish you the best.

Les amo a mi familia, para siempre

-Elder Beatty

No comments:

Post a Comment