Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Email 9-26-11

Hey Everyone! 
I figure that it’s a good thing that I’m not keeping track of how many weeks I have been on the mission.  That can be a good thing, in that I’m not really preoccupied with time.  Ok a quick rundown with what has happened last week.  So we just finished with district meeting and Elder Tyler our district leader decided to do last minute exchanges.  WOW! Ok, so I had to run home and pack up a nights worth of stuff, I forgot a ton by the way, and then just run off and go do changes with Elder Lamb.  I guess it was a good thing that they didn't live too far away.  It went pretty well.  We placed; I think 3 baptismal dates and invites and I dropped cane on a drunken guy, who didn't want to change, for his wife to come back.  So all in all; besides not getting any sleep and forgetting all my stuff, it went well.  We passed by Pablo's house again and we talked about them getting married in order for them to be baptized.  They said that now, really wasn't the time for them to get married.  This is mostly due to the fact that Pablo really doesn't want to stay with this girl.  He only is, because he had a baby with her, and one of his old ex's is back and wants to get back together and ahhhh.  It’s hard sometimes because you know that they know that they need to baptized and change but when they don't want to it’s pretty crushing.  Oh well, we have prepared him for the missionary someday who will baptized him.  We found new people through a guy named Brajulio.  I guess that he was going to commit suicide and he just happened to pass by us on the street and we went to his house and taught about repentance and then he didn't.......... WOW!! how cool is that?  Anyway they have a date for the 15th of October.  I really hope we can get this baptism so Elder Hewitt can go out with a bang from his mission.  He really liked teaching them, so that all went good.  We were teaching them for about 1 hour, now let me explain… it’s hard for a Paraguayan to stay that focused for an hour.  They were doing the missionary lean towards us THE WHOLE TIME.   That was something awesome.  The spirit was super strong.  

I guess one cool thing that happened today was that we got on a bus to head further into our area and guess what? It was the wrong bus and we ended up about 15 miles in some other direction that we didn't want to go at all.  It was chill and kind of not chill, because when you’re on the busses here, you are pretty much scared for your life.  Oh well, that’s how it goes.  But it was cool getting to see some more of Paraguay and an area that I didn't know at all.  I guess tomorrow we have a cool conference in Asuncion so all the trainers and all the leaders have to go.  I'm excited because I should see Elder Marple, Varney, Edwards, and Hermana Hubbard there.  It will be good to see my old buddies from the MTC.  I forget how much I miss those Elders and Hermana and how much I pray for their success.  They have become like family to me here.

We have really been focusing this last week on finding people and it has been awesome.  I truly feel like a missionary now; because we are talking to EVERYONE.  I still get a little heart drop when we come up to someone but it’s been good for me and my language skills to have to talk to people.  It’s also good because we are starting to get to know people in an area and we can establish a foothold to start the missionary work in the area.  It’s actually been pretty fun when we make a competition to see who can talk to the most people.  Usually Elder Hewitt kills me though, just because he can talk better.  Don't worry, I’m getting there though.  I’m not gonna let a little competition throw me out of my groove.

I think one thing that I really want to talk about is the upcoming General Conference.  It’s been really great for me preparing for this coming conference.  I have been reading a lot of the conference issues of the Liahona.  Yes, in Spanish!  It’s helped me realize that these men and women have searched, prayed, and given much time to choosing the topics on which they are going to be giving to us.  One thing that I can give to you all as advice for this coming conference is that as you listen; if you really want to pay attention and be able to stay awake, as I will desire to do, listen to these people with the intent to do what they tell you to do.  I know it’s hard; believe me, I’m not gonna lie when I say that I was the most avid conference listener/snoozer before my mission.  We can ALWAYS search for that little bit of revelation that was given to that speaker just for us.  When we listen, we must listen as though it is God himself speaking to us because through the mouth of His disciples will come His will.  I will hope that I can have the opportunity to attend this General Conference as I listen to our prophets and leaders in the church and their words that can help us not only better ourselves in coming closer to God but to search for true happiness.  I love you all and hope the spirit of the Lord is with you.

Elder Beatty

No comments:

Post a Comment